Millions loved this movie, made it one of the longest running films and a cult classic
Desimartini | Updated - October 12, 2017 17:10 PM IST
Verdict - Go ahead and see it for the 101st time. A must see for all those who have not seen it.
This is not a normal review but an appraisal and an analysis as to why people have loved this film so much so as to make it one of the longest running films of all times. It has affected an entire generation of young and old who have found the characters realistic and relatable. I am putting down points numerically in a random order as thoughts come to me.
1. It is a romantic story of a handsome boy and a beautiful girl which has been shot in attractive locations abroad and which has a happy ending.
2. It has an outstanding collection of songs which all became chartbusters. They have all been exquisitely presented.
3. Foreign locations were all attractively shown.
4. Indian middle class sensibilities were kept intact. There was the traditional strict Indian father wanting the best for his daughter. The mother though traditional is also understanding of her daughter's predicament and goes way out to help her leave home. The boy though mischievous is honourable and refuses to elope with the girl
and tells this to the girl's mother. The boy's father is very understanding and actually helps his son to get the girl. The Indian festival Karva Chowth is shown nicely to cater to family audiences. The boy telling the girl's father that he loves his daughter maybe more than him.
5. The film caters to the dream fantasy of every boy which is to meet a pretty girl while travelling abroad and having a nice time.
6. And last but not the least the boy saying " Palat" is every Indian teenager boy's gimmick which he has tried many times in real life.
The film has inspired a couple of production houses to make copies which are not half as good.
Its dialogue " Bade bade deshon may choti choti baatein hoti rahti hain" was qoted by no less than President Obama in one of his speeches.
As an inspiration this year, a film called " Simran" has been made based on the dialogue of the film "Jaa Simran jaa, jeelay apni zindagi ".
The film has become a benchmark for romantic films with family appeal. It has no vulgarity or sensuous scenes or item numbers or anything considered cheap.